Last Sunday I ran my first half marathon, 21,1 km
I wasn't feeling too fit and hadn't done enough training coming up to it, so I was feeling a bit apprehensive at the start. Apart from that I'd been diagnosed with iron deficiency a week before the run.
But I was determined to try my best and when the morning of the marathon arrived I woke up early and set out to join the other 18,000 participants for the 31st Munich Half Marathon.
But I was determined to try my best and when the morning of the marathon arrived I woke up early and set out to join the other 18,000 participants for the 31st Munich Half Marathon.
It had rained heavily the night before so the morning was fresh and cool. Perfect for a long run.
I made sure I had my mp3 player with me. (I have to have music in my ears when running).
Lampros, a very good family friend ran alongside me, keeping an eye on me - Thanks Lampros!
The first hour of the run was fine, we started off at the centre of Munich City, heading into The English Garden, a huge beautiful park in the middle of Munich. As time passed and we were into the second hour, it got harder and harder. That's when I started thinking- "Will I make it?".
But I pushed this doubt to the back of my mind when I thought of all the loved ones who were behind me. Who had given me support before starting, telling me - "You can do it!" - And they were right - I did it! - I ran my first half marathon at the age of 50.
Crossing the finishing line was like winning a lottery - I felt fantastic. What a tremendous feeling to achieve something big for the first time. To know you gave your best and didn't give up!
I finished in 2 hrs 31 mins. That wasn't very fast but I was happy with it. Now I can aim to improve my time in next years run. Hopefully, eventually I'll cover it in just 2 hours.
Whoaaaaaa!!!!
ReplyDeleteJana has competition now!
You have really aged from cute girl to a awesomely fit lady. I am gaining a perfect round shape these days. High time I did something about it. Congratulations.
Am proud of you! :D :D
I never thought you would be the fit and running kind. I pictured you more like the hanging around in the garden, talking to birds kind. :D :D
This is better. :P
Margaret!!! Hooray!!! Congratulations! You have accomplished so much by being able to do this. You look beautiful and happy and proud. Good for you, girl!
ReplyDeleteWELL DONE!!! I'm SOOOO Proud of YOU! :-D
ReplyDeleteDear Margaret,
ReplyDeleteMy hearty congratulations to both you and Mr. Lampros for finishing the marathon successfully.
Well, this is a really big event with 18,000 participants; nice to hear that you enjoyed the run with enthusiastic and exciting surroundings.
This post showcases your “determination”- At your age, with Iron deficiency pulling you down and not much training done - it is never easy to make it till the finish line.
It is very difficult in a short period - to shift from a negative mindset into a positive one.
Brilliant transformation of thoughts - from “Will I make it?” to “You can do it!”
Next year, get into the event with more fitness and training; well, as you have one full year to improve your time, your aim should be to win the title in the coming years.
You have it in you, well with this first attempt you proved yourself that you can do it.
Continue with your “never give up” attitude and I wish you good luck in every event of your life.
Convey my regards to Mr.Lampros.
Cheers,
Charan.
YAY!!!!! Margaret, you have struck a blow for all of us in the big Five-O and over club!! Oh, wow...I am proud of you. You look just wonderful - and more importantly, you are staying healthy. What an accomplishment! You are an inspiration to me. Now, when I am WALKING my THREE miles a day, I won't complain (as much)! LOL.
ReplyDeleteso good to see the pics (as you promised)... congrats... we are all very proud of you... at 50, while other people are 50 years old, you are 50 years young.
ReplyDeleteAwesome Margaret!!
ReplyDeleteAniket, Karen, Cat, Charan, K., Lala and Jason - Thank you all so much for the wonderful congratulations.
ReplyDeleteSo Aniket, you had the wrong picture of me, glad you find this one better. :-D
Karen, thanks for your lovely words.
Yes, Charan, I'll be running again next year and aim to improve my time. Thanks for the encouragement. :)
Cat, I'm sure you could do it too!
K. Definitely keep up the daily three mile walk - that's great!
Lala, 50 years young sounds so much better than 50 year old. :P
Jason, glad I was able to impress you. :)
Thanks again everyone :)
Hi - Aniket sent me over - and I see why he knew we would click...running and poetry! Way to go on your half marathon!
ReplyDeleteJana
Hi Jana, thanks for listening to Aniket and coming over here. Great to see you and I'm really looking forward to reading your blog as soon as possible. See you there :D
ReplyDelete