I'd like to touch your heart and your soul with my writing....
Friday, 22 May 2009
Roads of Time
Treading auld Mother soil walking old roads of time where the rabbit springs forth from its field of green as magpies air their wings and nostrils breathe deep the turf-filled air escaping dark chimneys on smoky, sleepy evenings
Your thoughts were mine Since I was a child As I walked Irelands bye ways And scenery so wild I walked troubled highways Reaching into the past Where each rock filled, green field Held memories that last
Where ghosts of the tortured, Hungry souls, wandering round Bringing sad, haunting music From blood soaked, Irish ground Each step that I take Our ancestors trod Through hardship and suffering History’s soaked in each sod
But Irish hearts, strong Kept our heritage alive In story, and song The poets spirit, survive To sing praise to the land The home, that gave birth To the spirit of old Ireland Bringing hope, to this Earth.
Thank you Margaret for bring those memories to my mind. Brendan
@ Lala Thanks a ton. Yes, Ireland is a beautiful place. I only stayed at home this time but if you drive around the coastline - then you see real beauty.
@ Aniket Yeah, I can really imagine you enjoying an awesome bike ride along the country roads of Ireland. Glad you like both pic & poem. :)
@ Cat Always nice to step back in time Cat. Thanks!
@ Sawan No wonder "Country roads take me home" came to mind Anil. Ireland is full of these country roads - and they all lead "home". :)
@ BMF Brendan, I love your poems, this one is one of your best. - You know Ireland much better than I do and you're able to express it so wonderfully in your poems. Thank you!
Hats off to Mr.Brendan for writing such a beautiful poem, describing Ireland’s historical moments in an exquisite way.
Well Margaret, by using an apt photo you’ve given the poem a very suitable title - “Roads of Time”.
Admirable lines from the poem: “where the rabbit springs forth from its field of green as magpies air their wings”
With the above lines, you have created a vivid picture in the reader’s mind - like how rabbits, with their hearts full of joy, jump around reciprocating to the beauty of Mother Nature.
Among the many migratory species of birds found in Ireland, you’ve rightly chosen the wonderful “Magpies” to rhythmically fit into your poem.
You are carving out such marvelous poems on Ireland, your motherland - But are the Irish people enjoying these lovely pieces written by a daughter of their own soil? - Are your poems reaching them? Will they reach the "Irish masses" someday?
Keep writing more and more “Irish” poems in future, all your readers love them so much... Good luck...
@ Charan Thanks so much for your elaborate comment and pointing out your favouite lines. Well, I hope some of the Irish people are reading my blog. But if they don't leave comments, I'll never know. :P
@ Karen True, true words...... :)
@ LGL That's one great advantage of writing about our own places. To bring them closer to lovely people like you. I'm very happy to... 'take you there'.
Ah....just wonderful, Margaret. Every word here pulls it's weight. Lovely sentiments - so well portrayed. I feel, as if, I might have been there with you, my friend. Love it!!
lovely pic... i'm sure you must have had good fun at Ireland... the place looks beautiful and your words make them even more so...
ReplyDeleteAwesome pic.
ReplyDeleteWhat i wouldn't do for a chance to just drive my bike on that road once. :D
And lovely imagery in the poem as well. You certainly live in wonderland. :)
Beautiful visuals in both the picture and the poem. Very visual that poem, and a step back into time.
ReplyDeletednt know why, this song came to my mind when i read this: Country roads, take me homr - john denver.
ReplyDeleteluvly!!
Your thoughts were mine
ReplyDeleteSince I was a child
As I walked Irelands bye ways
And scenery so wild
I walked troubled highways
Reaching into the past
Where each rock filled, green field
Held memories that last
Where ghosts of the tortured,
Hungry souls, wandering round
Bringing sad, haunting music
From blood soaked, Irish ground
Each step that I take
Our ancestors trod
Through hardship and suffering
History’s soaked in each sod
But Irish hearts, strong
Kept our heritage alive
In story, and song
The poets spirit, survive
To sing praise to the land
The home, that gave birth
To the spirit of old Ireland
Bringing hope, to this Earth.
Thank you Margaret for bring those memories to my mind.
Brendan
@ Lala
ReplyDeleteThanks a ton. Yes, Ireland is a beautiful place. I only stayed at home this time but if you drive around the coastline - then you see real beauty.
@ Aniket
Yeah, I can really imagine you enjoying an awesome bike ride along the country roads of Ireland.
Glad you like both pic & poem. :)
@ Cat
Always nice to step back in time Cat. Thanks!
@ Sawan
No wonder "Country roads take me home" came to mind Anil. Ireland is full of these country roads - and they all lead "home". :)
@ BMF
Brendan, I love your poems, this one is one of your best. - You know Ireland much better than I do and you're able to express it so wonderfully in your poems. Thank you!
Hats off to Mr.Brendan for writing such a beautiful poem, describing Ireland’s historical moments in an exquisite way.
ReplyDeleteWell Margaret, by using an apt photo you’ve given the poem a very suitable title - “Roads of Time”.
Admirable lines from the poem:
“where the rabbit springs forth
from its field of green
as magpies air their wings”
With the above lines, you have created a vivid picture in the reader’s mind - like how rabbits, with their hearts full of joy, jump around reciprocating to the beauty of Mother Nature.
Among the many migratory species of birds found in Ireland, you’ve rightly chosen the wonderful “Magpies” to rhythmically fit into your poem.
You are carving out such marvelous poems on Ireland, your motherland - But are the Irish people enjoying these lovely pieces written by a daughter of their own soil? - Are your poems reaching them? Will they reach the "Irish masses" someday?
Keep writing more and more “Irish” poems in future, all your readers love them so much... Good luck...
Cheers,
Charan.
"There's no place like home; there's no place like home"...
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you visited ireland... your poems and photographs really 'take me there'...
ReplyDelete@ Charan
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your elaborate comment and pointing out your favouite lines.
Well, I hope some of the Irish people are reading my blog. But if they don't leave comments, I'll never know. :P
@ Karen
True, true words...... :)
@ LGL
That's one great advantage of writing about our own places. To bring them closer to lovely people like you.
I'm very happy to... 'take you there'.
the picture is so lovely and together with poem they make a good combination :)
ReplyDeleteThe Colors Magazine
Ah....just wonderful, Margaret. Every word here pulls it's weight. Lovely sentiments - so well portrayed. I feel, as if, I might have been there with you, my friend. Love it!!
ReplyDelete@ Lena
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Lena!
@ K.
I'm so pleased that you loved this K.
Thank you for your lovely words!
Beautiful poem and lovely picture.
ReplyDeleteThank you Onkar..glad you liked both poem & picture.
ReplyDelete