
Shared days, they come to an end
It's time now to depart
Unable to stay any longer
I'm leaving with a heavy heart
Wonderful days, together spent
Sitting, talking, remeniscing
Presence felt with every breath
Thankful smiles, forthcoming
To your tales of days long gone
I'd sit and listen with awe
So much you had to share with me
From your lips, the words, they'd pour
Every moment, a precious memory
Never to be forgotten
Closed and sealed within my heart
Such precious gifts, I've gotten
So now we have to say goodbye
Let's try not be too sad
For all the memories you've given me
I'd like to say, "Thanks Dad!"
hey margaret, glad you're back :) i'm so happy you had a good time...
ReplyDeletememories are the best sort of gifts, no? they are the only things that will last :)
A lovely tribute to your Dad!
ReplyDeleteHappy to see you back Margaret, though reading this makes me wish you could have stayed longer.
Dear Margaret,
ReplyDeleteAll the stanzas in this poem look like volumes of heavy books with emotions overflowing from every page.
This poem showcases all those immeasurable feelings and emotions a daughter has for her father and how well she safeguards all those precious memories.
The eye-catching picture of art you have presented along with this poem clearly explains the intensity of emotional bonding and attachment which exists between two people.
My favourite lines :
"To your tales of days long gone
I'd sit and listen with awe
So much you had to share with me
From your lips, the words, they'd pour"
The style in which you weaved every line in the poem is – simply superb.
You started with the parting scene and continued recollecting memories, then explaining how much they mean to you and ended the poem with a fitting farewell accompanied by a warm heartfelt thanks.
I like to express my sincere gratitude to you because your poems are always a great source of inspiration for me.
Good luck, keep writing more and more poems…
Cheers,
Charan.
@ LGL
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! Yes, I did have a good time and have the memories to hold on to.
@ Aniket
Thanks & I'm happy too, to be back. As nice as it is in Ireland, it's just as lovely to return to my family. Anyhow I'll be back with my Dad in July again. :)
@ Charan
Thanks for the lovely comment. You can read my true feelings in the lines of my poems. Thanks for taking so much time to write down your thoughts here.
Good to know that my poems inspire you. Take care.
Have you read the story "There are no Snakes in Ireland"? I loved it.
ReplyDeleteAlso do you read the Artemis Fowl series?
Oh, Margaret...this made me cry. what a lovely poem to your father. I know how much you must have loved being in Ireland, being with family and seeing the "green grass of home."
ReplyDeleteGlad you are back safe and sound. Blessings, K
Hello Margaret
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and mesmerizing lines from you dear one. When I started reading the poem...gave me the immense feeling that it has got that love for your father that is going through your body,spirit and your family all over.... From first word to last word of the poem...I felt like I am with you and your dad virtually and listening to your lovely tales and small kiddish talks..I love to hear them..They wud comeback for you dear one...Beautiful peace of love from you to your father..God bless you and your father....TC..Harman :)
Beautiful sentiment, Margaret!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a wonderful visit Margaret. A beautiful tribute to your dad and your time together.
ReplyDelete@ Aniket
ReplyDeleteWell, we all know, thanks to St. Patrick, there's no snakes in Ireland!
Do you mean the story from Frederick Forsyth? I'm gonna read it now!
Sorry to disappoint you but, nah, haven't read any of the Artemis Fowl series. Think I'm too old to start into it now. :-P
@ K.
Oh yes, it's always lovely to see the "green grass of home". So glad you enjoyed the poem.
@ Harman
I'm so happy you got exactly want I felt for my father through reading my poem.
Thanks for your heart-felt words Hani, means a lot to me. Tc
@ Jason
Delighted you liked it Jason, thanks so much.
@ Cat
Yeah, every visit to Ireland is wonderful! Especially when I spend it with my Dad. Thanks for your lovely words.
Yup, that's the one. Short story by Frederick Forsyth. :D
ReplyDeleteAnd come on one ever gets old enough to read anything. I still love to read comic books. :P
Aww.. that is such a beautiful poem, Margaret!!
ReplyDeleteI once wrote something similar for my dad but still haven't shown it to him (he doesn't really approve of my writings).
Did you show this to your father? He's a lucky father to have such a caring daughter! :-)
"thanks dad"
ReplyDeleteits really amazing how often we feel this but how rarely we express it...
lovely tribute...
Beautiful.
ReplyDelete@ Creation
ReplyDeleteLovely to see you here again and thanks for your sweet comment. No, my Dad hasn't seen this, but I'm visiting him again in July. I'll print it out and hand it to him then. I know he'll love it.
@ Lala
Thanks a million Lala. Yeah, you're right, we should express our feelings openly, not just think them.
@ Onkar
Thank you so much for enjoying my poems. It's makes it all worthwhile.
How fortunate to have a chance to reminisce and listen to the wisdom and lore of our elders. How fortunate to still have our fathers... Beautiful tribute.
ReplyDelete