Saturday, 18 September 2010

Your Memory Lives On




The sun still rises at the dawn of each day
Birds, they’re flying in the sky as before
The clock still ticks as the hours pass by
How can that be - when you’re no more?

Never again will you walk through my door
Or sit at my table with a cup of tea
I may never hear your laughter again
But in my heart I know, you’re still close to me

The phone still rings and I answer the call
And many a time I think, it could be you
Ringing me up as you so often did
To share all the things you plan to do

You’re still so vivid, so very clear
Before me, in my mind’s eye
Bubbly and cheerful, so full of life
Your presence, I’ll forever hold high

Remember the fun we used to have
In the Irish pub on a girl’s night out
With Grethe, Sheila, Laila and Mette
Oh, all the things we laughed about

You fought hard and brave my dear friend
With courage and optimism you started each day
Positive thinking was always your motto
Negative thoughts, they never came your way

Rest assured dear Hanne, I promise you
You’ll never be forgotten, even when long gone
I’ll cherish the time we had together
And as the years pass by, your memory lives on

10 comments:

  1. Sad to lose one's loved ones but then, who can conquer fate, turn the sands of time?
    By writing this and dedicating it to your dear friend you have ensured she lives on. Forever.
    May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another soulful poem after a long gap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, Margaret. This is a beautiful, heartfelt expression of continuing love - which is the most corporeal of all spirits.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Creation
    Yes, it's so sad but what you said is true, we can't conquer fate. We just have to learn to accept it.
    Thanks so much.

    @ Onkar
    Thank you Onkar. Yes, It's been a long gap. Over a month has passed since my friend died. I couldn't put my mind to blogging. But hope now, after wrting this poem for her that I'll get back.


    @ Karen
    Thank you my dear friend.
    Love can't die, it continues in our hearts - Hanne will always be there in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Margaret

    Such a lovely poem..touched my soul in one go...really shows the depth of friendship and care you had for Hanne..So lovely word..each word shows the care, joy and happiness you shared with your dearest friend..yes time will move on and she will always in live in everyon's heart...Let the beloved fly away into heavens...Let her live with Angels..she is much more there then this earth...Lovely poem dear one..Lover her...TC..Harman

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Harman

    Thank you Hani for your lovely, caring words. Yes, me & her shared a lot over the past 21 years. Lot's of memories to hold on to.
    At least now, she's no longer suffering. She's at peace.

    She can never be forgotten...I'll always see her big, happy smile whenever I think of her. :)

    Thank you..tc...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maragaret...I thought I had left a comment here. I'm sorry that I didn't.

    This such a wonderful heart-felt tribute. There are so many lines that bring a smile and tear. This is one of my favorites of yours. It grabs me by the heart. Beautiful poem!

    Hanne was ever so fortunate to have you as a friend, as you were to have her. The only bad thing about getting so close to someone -is the hurt we feel when that person leaves us. But, you are so right...the memories are to be cherished forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaye
    Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I can see it came straight from a caring heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it was straight from ur heart , loved the way u expressed ur emotion sorry for you loss , even i have lost my mom 3 years back , dont worry she will always be wid you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Akshita

    Thank you very much for your lovely comment.
    Very sorry to hear about you losing your mom. I know how hard it is. My mom died 2 1/2 years ago.
    But as you say, they are still with us!

    ReplyDelete