Friday, 19 February 2010

Rise 'n Shine





Rubbing my eyes as I awaken
I draw the curtains open
a mellow glow greets my eyes
immaculate and perfect she lies

Capture this beauty - forever held
cries out my heart
for this moment, never again will be
this day, tomorrow - but a memory

Click, click obeys my camera
compliant, obedient and willing
and another, let's have one more
yes - even better than the one before

Letting this radiance transfer
from the lens to my heart
I feel it's warmth deep within
carrying this joy, I let my day begin

I smile






I dedicate this poem to my dear father who celebrates his 95th birthday today.
I've never known him to wake up without a smile. May his smile brighten up our mornings for years and years to come.

Many, many happy returns Dad!


20 comments:

  1. Nice capture of the moment of capturing a moment. Extra points for doing so without obvious irony. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this, Margaret. Best wishes to your father. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one handsome guy, Margaret! Of course, you look beautiful and so happy. May you enjoy those smiles for years to come.

    Lovely tribute poem, captured on the mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that photo is one for the ages! You both look so happy and handsome/beautiful! The poem and the picture made me smile and brought tears to my eyes at the same time!

    Your poem "captures" the moment so well.

    Isn't that wonderful - he greets each day with a smile. God bless him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful feelings, so well expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was beautiful. I loved how you expressed the uniqueness of one second in time and that we should appreciate it before it turns into a fading memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely writing dedicated to your father, Margaret.
    The photo of you & your father is just beautiful!
    What a blessing that he's reached the age of 95.
    Belated b-day greetings to him.

    Margie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Gerry
    Hi Gerry, thank you! Irony was definitely not intended. Glad you like it. :)

    @ Jason
    Happy to hear you enjoyed this Jason. Thanks for the good wishes, I'll pass them on to my father.

    @ Karen
    Oh, can you imagine his smile if I tell him what you said Karen? :D
    He'd be delighted to know he's still handsome at 95!
    Thank you for your lovely comment.

    @ K.
    This photo was taken last year, July. He was in great health then.
    Thanks for your lovely words on my poem K.
    Yes, he is one positive-thinking person and smiles come easy to him.

    @ Onkar
    I'm very happy that my feelings came across so well. Thank you so much.

    @ Mada
    Thank you... I really try to appreciate every precious second that's gifted to me.

    @ Margie
    It certainly is a blessing Margie that he's reached this age, esp. after the recent illness he's just recovered from.
    Thank you for your lovely comment.

    @ Nishant
    Your smile reached me :) thank you!
    I'm delighted that you enjoyed my poem & pics here.
    I'll definitely keep you updated about his health.
    Thank you... :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. He has the same bright smile as you do. Best wishes to your father, Margaret. I can only imagine how happy you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Margaret

    Beautiful written poem again.I can feel the your feeling about your father and sunrise..Happy b'day to him...God bless you both.Beautiful photograph.Keep writing...

    TC
    Harman

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Aniket
    Thanks a million! I hope to see his smile for a long time to come. :D

    @ Harman
    Thank you Hani. I'm glad my feelings came across in the lines of my poem and photo. He had a very good b'day. (Enjoyed an Indian Take-a-way!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margaret,

    Thank you so much for your visit at my blog and following it. It is a pleasure having you read my works. I am delayed coming here, I apologize for that.

    I love this poem so very much. I could easily dedicate this to my mother, who is a constant source of inspiration to me. You describe your feelings so beautifully, and this poem is so much full of joy, happiness and hope that I can't help but love it. Cheers!

    -Vittal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful! And that photo is divine! A perfect way to start the day.

    Obviously, you've been taught well. Sounds like your Dad is a master of life.

    I love seeing radiant nonagenarians (I think that's the right word...)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! The radiant beauty of the photo can only be surpassed by those two smiles. And the lines of love and tribute.

    Capture this beauty - forever held
    cries out my heart
    for this moment, never again will be
    this day, tomorrow - but a memory


    I so often feel like this. We are lucky, lucky creatures to be alive. To know love.

    I hope your father enjoyed a wonderful birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Vittal
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I'm glad you could relate this poem to your mom. I'm very happy that you enjoyed it so much. Do stick around for more! :)

    @ Aine
    That's the first time I've heard my dad being called an nonagenarian. I hope we can call him a centarian in 5 years.

    My Dad certainly is a master of life. He was a bachelor up to the age of 40 (and enjoyed those years, we're always hearing the stories!) before marrying my mother, who was 18 years younger than him.

    I'm glad you liked my photo - sunrise in Ireland. :)

    @ Sarah
    Thank you Sarah! And thanks for pointing out your fav. lines.
    Yes, we're very lucky - we should never forget it.
    He did enjoy a wonderful birthday. I couldn't fly over to him for it but all my 6 siblings were with him. (I was with him in my heart) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Margaret
    Just came by to say "hi"
    Hope all is well and I look forward to your next post.

    Be well.
    Be happy.

    Margie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Margie, thank you so much for dropping by to say "hi". I'm very well thank you. I haven't got a new post ready for here but I'm posting some of my photos on my 'Come Along' blog today.
    If you're interested do come along, you'll find the link on my blog.
    Take care...
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated birthday wishes to your father. Its always great to wake up with a smile.....its a big source of energy I believe. Beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Old Monk

    Thank you. Yes, I'm sure my father got a lot of his energy from his happy, positive way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful age to reach. He has a bright cheery smile. Best wishes sir.

    ReplyDelete