Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Did You Feed The Robin?









"Did you feed the robin?"
You asked, with care and concern
"I did Dad", I smiled
As you closed your droopy eyes
Sitting by your hospital bed
My heart went out to you
You never complain, moan or groan
No matter how life treats you
Opening my book once again
I tried to occupy my mind
Unable to concentrate I turned my head
To glance out at the frost-chilled trees
And there she was!
Her red breast adorned
On the window sill she proudly stood
Tiny black eyes focused on you
From your beloved robin you cannot hide
She will be forever by your side!


21 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Margaret, and rich with symbolism.

    I've wondered how your father is doing. I'm hopeful he is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear blogger friends,
    I'm very happy to be able to tell you all that my Dad has recovered in a remarkable way. He's even surprised the doctors and hospital staff who really didn't believe he would make it!
    He's home now and boy was he happy to get home! Wasn't allowed to smoke his pipe in the hospital! :)

    Thank you all for your prayers, I really believe their power had a great influence on his recovery.

    I'm back in Munich now, it wasn't easy leaving him but he's in the caring hands of my sister & bro-in-law. He couldn't be better cared for.

    I've missed reading all your blogs over the past weeks but hope to get around to doing just that over the coming days.

    Margaret xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I've haven't exactly been around either. But its great to see you back over here.

    I was glad to hear about your father's recovery over at FB. Good to know, he's in good hands. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Margaret
    Oh, wonderful news about your father and I loved the poem!
    It is beautiful!

    Margie:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Karen
    Thank you Karen for just being there!

    @ Aniket
    Yeah, I read on FB too that you'd been away in Goa. Good to see you back. Now we can get back to blogging! :D

    @ Margie
    Hi Margie, thank you so much. Great to see you back here too. Hope you're fully recovered. I'll be over to your blog very soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just reentering the blog world and I see this wonderful post with good news. My Dad is such a bird lover, too. I can imagine such a moment with him some day.

    I'm glad your Dad is home and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Nishant
    Thank you dear friend. I know you're just as happy for me as I am myself at his discharge before I left. I don't think I could have left on 31st as planned otherwise.

    I'm glad you liked the lines. :)tc

    @ Aine
    Hi Aine, good to see you here again and thank you for your kind words. Actually my mom was a great lover of birds and my dad believes she returns to him in the form of a robin. The robin seems to turn up every time he needs her. She was even there at the window of the hospital, at the exact window he was lying next to.
    He is definitely happy to be home now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so sweet. :)

    The robin was visiting both of you, perhaps.

    Glad to hear your father is doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jason. Yes, I'm sure she was! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that your father has made a recovery. All of you who love and care for him, including his robin friend, pulled him through. Great news!!! Welcome back, so good to see you. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a wonderful news......and the poem has depth.....and clearly conveys the care and concern for your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely poem. Happy to know about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful!! m glad to hear about ur dad :) why don’t u put a pic of ur family? it wud be nice to see them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ K.
    Good to see you too K. Thank you.

    @ Old Monk
    Thanks for such lovely words.

    @ Onkar
    Thanks for sharing my joy.

    @ Sawan
    Thanks a lot Anil. Maybe I will put a pic of my family, esp. my dad in my next post. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad your dad is better Margaret. We both had close calls with our dads, doesn't it just make you appreciate them so much more? What a lovely lovely poem! And the photograph too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Cat! Glad you liked the poem & photo.
    Oh yes, we definitely learn to appreciate our loved ones at times like this. I'm so thankful that my dad pulled through this. I just hope I can get over to visit him more often. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully written poem dear one...Takes you, near your parents lovingly..I completely understood the meaning of the poem..what is being conveyed here...It healed your father...Hope he stays perfect...Beautiful poem..dear..TC

    Harman..Keep it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Harman

    Thank you - I know you, of all people understand just how anxious I was. And your positive attitude to life and your words of comfort were a blessing for me - thanks! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Margaret,

    I am touched. I like how you have used this wonderful little bird to show hope, the will to live and to see the world as a beautiful place to live. Really wonderful.

    Though I do not know of the context in which your father was admitted to the hospital, but I feel happy that he has recovered. I wish him good health.

    -Vittal

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry I'm so late to this, Margaret--I have been thinking of you and your father through this difficult time, and I should have commented earlier.

    You have such a warm, deep connection with your dad, and this poem highlights it so poignantly. You, and the robin, will be forever by his side.

    So beautiful. I am glad he is doing better, and that the two of you will be birdwatching for many days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Vittal
    Welcome to my blog! :)
    Yes, the robin is really a special little bird. We see them very rarely here in Germany but a lot in Ireland.
    Thank you for your wonderful words and good wishes for my father.

    @ Sarah
    You don't need to apologize Sarah. I'm delighted you find the time to come here and write such fabulous comments. You're really the master of comments! :D

    Yes, I'm very lucky to have such a deep connection with my dad. It's become even deeper since my mother died in 2008. He really is a Father in a million. :)

    ReplyDelete