As I close my eyes
and think of you
I see your smile
and familiar gestures
I hear your voice
suave and calm
telling your stories
so often told
reminiscing old days
past and gone
with love and affection
a gleam in your eye
and a heartfelt sigh
as well-known tales unfold
As gentle as
a summer breeze
meandering through
sycamore leaves
as pleasant as
a languorous picnic
on a cordial
summer's day
as calm as
a mellow sunrise
unhurried on
an April dawn
these memories of you
so vividly come my way
Your body has left us
but your spirit lives on
the examples you gave us
imbued forever
in our hearts
good-natured, placid
gentle and giving
so caring and kind
contentment written
all over your face
as you smoked your beloved pipe
Dad, you'll never to be forgotten
so eminent are
the impressions you left behind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jgma--0WYU
Dear friends,
ReplyDeleteSadly, my father passed away on St. Patrick's Day, 17th March.
All I can say is he was a great man, husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.
He lived a good, long life, dying one month after celebrating his 95th birthday.
He loved singing old Irish songs and even sang in his sleep at home shortly before he died.
While in I.C.U. he surprised everyone within earshot when he suddenly started singing 'Danny Boy'.
Whenever I hear this beautiful Irish song all my loving memories of him come flooding back.
Dear Margaret
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear that your father passed away.
May his memory always be a blessing!
This is such a beautiful poem with wonderful memories of your father!
Such a sweet picture of your father that you shared with us.
Take care!
Margie x
oh, love the song Danny Boy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the video.
Margaret, I'm so terribly sorry.
ReplyDeleteYour poem is a beautiful tribute to a man I know you loved, and still love, with all your heart and soul. From your descriptions of him, and what I know of you, I know that his profound joy in life is imbued forever in your heart, as surely as his DNA. He will always be a part of you, and everyone he touched.
I am so sorry for your family's pain right now. I hope you can find some solace in these cherished memories. And comfort in one another's arms and company.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Poem margaret, clearly showing love and faith of your poem...touched my heart directly as i read first feq lines of your poem.."smoking pipe" nearly dragged my earth to ground....You will be blessed with his loving memories and blissfulness...God bless you all.
ReplyDelete@ Margie
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words.
The photo of him is taken on the bench outside the back door. He often sat there and watched the birds.
I'm so glad you listened to the video of Danny Boy.
@ Sarah
Yes Sarah, he will always be part of me, he left such a deep impression behind.
The memories of him will be cherished forever. I'm very lucky to have been his daughter.
Thank you.
@ Harman
Being family, you knew him very well Hani, even though you'd never met him. But you often got to hear about him over the years and saw all the family photos.
I know how much you care and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Sorry to hear about your father. Your poem is a lovely tribute to him.
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful tribute, Margaret. Through your descriptions we know him to be person who lived a full life. And knowing how you turned out, we are sure he did a great job at parenting.
ReplyDeleteTake care, friend.
Dear Margaret,
ReplyDeleteI had tears in my eyes as I read this wonderful tribute and a token of remembrance you offer to your beloved father. I lost my father ten years ago and even to this date his image is fresh and I can see him in my heart.
Please accept my heart-felt condolences. He lived a contended life, which is consolation enough but still I pray to God that you and your family be bestowed with strength to overcome this loss. Three cheers to the beautiful life he lead.
-Vittal
@ Onkar
ReplyDeleteThank you very much.
@ Aniket
Thanks Aniket and you too take care.
Hopefully I'll get a story together for Flash Fiction.
@ Vittal
My sincere thanks for your heart-felt comment.
I'm so sorry to hear you lost your father at such a young age. I just can't imagine how that must have been. I'm glad you still have his image alive. I'm sure it'll be the same with me. My Dad will live on in my heart.
Thank you!
Margaret,
ReplyDeleteMy heartfelt condolences to you. The poem is a lovely tribute to your father who, I believe, has influenced you very much.
Old Monk
ReplyDeleteThank you very much.
Yes, my father influenced me a lot and was loved by everybody who knew him.
He'll be greatly missed....
Nishant
ReplyDeleteThank you dear friend for showing such compassion. You felt you knew my father and I sincerely wish you had got the chance to meet him once before he passed away.
Your kind words mean a lot to me Nishant - thank you very much.
I am sorry to hear of his passing. I have just left a comment on his birthday post.
ReplyDeleteI am a little late getting around the blogs, so am sorry this is a belated comment.
I must say it was a fitting day for an Irish man to pass on.