
I saw an old man, poor and frail
struggling to find his way
with the help of a stick
busy humans rushed past
on important missions
their eyes didn't see
that his eyes couldn't see
or maybe they did see
for one fleeting moment
but didn't care.
More important tasks ahead
friends to meet
friends to meet
shopping to be done
kids to be collected
from expensive schools
or birthday parties
why stop?
Just another piece of debris
nothing worthwhile
not worth stopping for
not my business
Stop!
It is our business
he is worth stopping for
he is worth stopping for
he is worthwhile
Why?
Because he's a human being
just like you and me
just like you and me
Note: I wrote this from an experience I had while in India. While walking to a friend's house with my husband, I saw this blind old man. He looked so poor and helpless but nobody stopped to ask him if he needed help. I couldn't get over the indifference and disinterest of the passers-by. It's so sad that in our busy world we haven't got time for what's important. There was no way I could just walk past. We stopped and my husband asked him in his language where he was heading. After hearing he wanted to get to the bus station we stopped a passing rickshaw and paid the small amount it cost to bring him to the station. It didn't take more than a few mins of our time but it saved him a hard struggle. Let's stop and take time to help those in need.
The bigger the crowds and congestion, the hard it is to keep reminding ourselves that each person deserves our attention.
ReplyDeleteMargaret, this touching poem and story make me think of this verse: "Whatsoever ye do to the least of my brothers, this ye do unto me." If we would all remember that (or the Golden Rule), the world would be a much better place.
ReplyDeleteIn many myths, gods appear in the guise of beggars. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we treated them all as gods?
Touching narration. In today's world we seldom care for such virtues. More often we try to avoid such people fearing of probable hassles they may create. But as you have rightly said we as human beings are duty bound to find time for our fellow beings and care for them.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. We must show concern for fellow human beings, especially those in need.
ReplyDelete@ Jason
ReplyDeleteYes, sad but true.
@ Karen
Thanks for the verse Karen.
I don't think beggars want to be treated as gods. Just respect for them would be wonderful though.
@ Old Monk
Sadly that is the way most people feel. But I don't see it as hassle. It doesn't take more than a few mins of our time to help in a small way - and every little bit helps, no matter how small.
Onkar
I couldn't agree with you more!
@ Nishant
I know I see it with different eyes as I'm not used to it and so it affects me more than someone who is confronted with it daily.
You say you feel helpless bcoz you can't help even 1% but every tiny bit helps. If every capable body did a little bit it'd amount to a lot. The ocean is made up of drops and look how huge it is.
Never feel that the small bit you do isn't good enough. It might seem small to you but I'd say it feels mighty to the person on the receiving end. :)
People don't even stop for themselves these days - leave alone others.
ReplyDeleteMoney, higher standards of living, faster cars, smaller phones, lighter computers. Are they that important that one would rather miss a walk in rains, to count the stars, splash some mud.
Unfortunately for most of us it is.
To me, I am happiest being my own boss after leaving my job. Freedom of choice is priceless!
It gives you the opportunity to stop for all the little things in life and cherish them. Otherwise, life runs so fast that one can easily miss it.
On other note am with Nishant too, here. Humanity has stooped so low that you never know whom to trust anymore.
ReplyDeleteThe beggars in Mumbai itself has a turnover of about 125 Crores per year. Its more of a blooming industry than a pitiful situation. Most of them have opportunities to make their lives meaningful and rise up but they they are happier the way they are.
With so many cons around, it becomes hard for one to differentiate the needy from the greedy.
Its a sorry scene out there to witness what the world is coming to.
Aniket to your 1st comment - Well said! Absolutely right!! Sometimes we have to remind ourselves where life's priorities lie. I'm glad you made that decision to leave your job.
ReplyDeleteTo your 2nd comment - I don't doubt for one min that what you say is right. I know there are a lot of cons out there.
But the man which I mentioned in this post wasn't begging, he wasn't bothering anyone. But it was just pitiful to see the way he was trying to find his way, going round in circles and clearly getting nowhere. It's these kinda people that need help, a kind word, an enquiry.
The smile on his face after we helped him onto the rickshaw said all!
What made the situation worse for me on that day was that just a few hours earlier we were at someones house. They had a large pet dog and boasted about how their baby (dog) was fed with the best of food. Even bought imported mangoes in winter bcoz the dog loved them. I love animals too but I'm pretty sure these people wouldn't have even noticed the need of the blind man while passing.
We can't put animals before humans.
I never doubted your kind soul. :)
ReplyDeleteThe part where Amelie takes the blind man to his destination and describes all the scenes happening around him is one of my all time fav. moments. And I love the character and the movie - Amelie.
So am with you 200 percent. Its not even just the unfortunate ones, but senior citizens too. There's an elderly lady with her family in my building who just sits alone for 2 hrs in the garden each evening staring at the sky. And I've never seen any of her family members to even escort her there or sit with her for 5 min.
Since I've lived with my grandmother all my life, I feel so sad for her. Whenever I cross by I just sit with her for a few minutes. She doesn't talk much but is most kind.
Its not that hard right, to just sit with someone.
I'm sure the elderly lady loves your company Aniket. Tell her about all the fabulous movies you've seen - that'll keep you talking for days! :D :D
ReplyDeletep.s. I love Amelie too - a brilliant film.
This is a beautiful entreaty, with much power behind it, Margaret. I can feel your empathy and outrage in every word.
ReplyDeleteWe all need that sense of responsibility and compassion. We are all connected. What better way to be reminded of our shared humanity than by doing just as you say?
I loved this one.
Thank you so much Sarah.
ReplyDeleteI hope I never lose that sense of responsibility and compassion that you mentioned.
And I agree - we ARE all connected.
This is so true, and because of what Aniket said, is so confusing in the setting of India. It broke my heart in India, to see all of the begging, and then to see those that just were in need but no one to help. That was even harder. You have a great big heart Margaret, and I am grateful there are people like you in this world. Hugs. I'm so glad you did what you did for this man.
ReplyDeleteThank you Cat. What I did was very little compared to what others do. But I believe that every little bit helps. Hugs back to you. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Margaret
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful piece (Peace) of work you have done dear one..God bless you.. It's such a kind act that should be done frequently as we see these persons around us...God bless you... poem is also really good one...which really illustrates us to what we should do if anybody needs help from us...it may be small act from our side but it is really big act for that guy who is in help..place yourself who is need...just feel yourself when you are in need and somebody helps you out..what kind and respectful feeling you get...really nice to see this poem on your blog..at least you make people think about it...they are forgetting these things...Humanity exists...through people like you..keep up the good work...
TC
Harman :)
Let the heart sing!!!
Thank you Hani for your kind comment.
ReplyDeleteIt's true that in this day and age we all forget humanity. We're so busy chasing after bigger & better things in life. That's why it's so important to just "stop" now & again and reflect on the importance of helping those in need. Every little act of kindness helps.
Thank you, take care.
Beautiful!!
ReplyDelete:)
@ Gauri
ReplyDeleteThank you! Hope to see you back. :)
See m back again following you!!
ReplyDelete:):)
@ Gauri
ReplyDeleteNice to have you back and following. I enjoyed your blog too. I'll be back! :))
Beautiful words. Nice to read where you got your inspiration from.
ReplyDelete