Monday, 5 October 2009

Munich's Oktoberfest

We were all sad to see Munich's 176th Oktoberfest (or as the locals call it - Wiesn) come to an end yesterday after 16 days of partying.

This year it attracted 5,7 million visitors from all over the globe. Most of them attired in the traditional Bavarian outfits of 'Drindl' for the females and 'Lederhosen' for the males.

The main attraction was any of the 14 beer 'tents' - huge wooden constructions holding up to 8,000 people each! The beer is served in glass litre mugs and flows like there's no tomorrow. This year 6,5 million litres were drank!!

You'd really need to visit the festival to understand the huge impact it leaves on it's visitors. The atmosphere is just something else, not to be compared with any other festival. Everyone's there to have a great time. I've never seen so many people in one spot enjoying themselves to such an extent.

So, if you ever get the chance - come to Munich for the 'Wiesn' and be part of this exhilarating event - you won't regret it!!










You can find my post and photos from last year's festival here. And more impressions if you're interested here. Hope to see you all next year! :)




15 comments:

  1. Hey Margaret, lovely photographs.. is that u with the rose on the right in the photograph? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Leo. Yeah, that's me with Jenny, my youngest daughter. The 1st pic shows me, my husband and 2 of my daughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sounds like a wonderful time!
    The pictures are great ... love your attire and you have a beautiful family, Margaret.

    Enjoyed this post.
    Thank you!

    Margie:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds (and looks) incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were at the Hofbrau Hous last spring, but my husband has fond memories of time spent there during Oktoberfest and New Year's. I know what a party was going on when it was not a festival, so I can only imagine how much fun it must be during Oktoberfest.

    On a side note - my German daughter in-law's folks are here from Magdeburg, so we're having our own little fest right now!

    Thanks for sharing your pics! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - Margaret! I just realized that's you in those pics! You look wonderful! You look as young as your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Karen! I would have never in my life guessed her to be your daughter. And no, she doesn't look that old. So you get the point.

    And this beats 'The Taste of Madison' that I attended hands-down. Make room for a guest next year, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hopefully i'll be there some year too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Margie
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

    @ Jason
    Believe me Jason - it IS incredible!

    @ Karen
    The Hofbräu Haus is a small taste of what it's like inside the tents at the Fest. So, your husband can relate to the festival - good to know that!
    Enjoy your own little fest with your daughter-in-law's folks, I'm sure you're all having a wonderful time. Tell them I send "Ganz liebe Grüße"

    @ Aniket
    Oooh, thank you so much!! Your guest room is just about ready!! :)

    @ Lala
    So do I Lala!! :)

    @ Nishant
    I'm glad I could bring this wonderful festival closer to you. Thank you for the lovely compliment! Look at my grin... :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun tradition! And you look wonderful, dahlink! :)Beautiful family, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From the pictures,the festival really looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ K.
    Oh, it definitely is more fun than you could imagine!
    Thanks for the lovely comment K.

    @ Onkar
    It's much much more than impressive Onkar! Glad I could bring it closer to you here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos, Margaret!! It's so wonderful to see you with your lovely family. :)

    You've convinced me. I want to go. Save me a room next to Aniket. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you enjoyed the pics Sarah. Your room's reserved next to Anikets! We'll have a great time!! :D

    ReplyDelete