
As my case I pack, with all the necessary items
of clothing, toiletries and gifts bought with love,
my mind wanders
to the land I'll be treading in a short while.
My senses inhale scents of exotic spices
and jasmine blossoms.
Before my eyes I see colours galore, red, yellow,
blue, green, pink - every colour imaginable to the eye.
I hear sounds of laughter, of deep from the heart
roars of curling joy.
I feel smiles, huge half-moons revealing gleaming pearls
beneath glittering eyes.
I see gold-clad, silken-clothed ladies
made up to perfection - alongside
undernourished urchins with pleading eyes, their grubby
little hands held out in anticipation and hope.
I hear Hindi songs of love mingled with noise, loud voices,
car horns and boisterous traffic.
I see beautiful sunsets resting against amber skies
I feel warmth... not only from the beaming sun
but the warmth of a loving nation.
I feel one with them as this great country
wraps it's arms around me and draws me close.
of clothing, toiletries and gifts bought with love,
my mind wanders
to the land I'll be treading in a short while.
My senses inhale scents of exotic spices
and jasmine blossoms.
Before my eyes I see colours galore, red, yellow,
blue, green, pink - every colour imaginable to the eye.
I hear sounds of laughter, of deep from the heart
roars of curling joy.
I feel smiles, huge half-moons revealing gleaming pearls
beneath glittering eyes.
I see gold-clad, silken-clothed ladies
made up to perfection - alongside
undernourished urchins with pleading eyes, their grubby
little hands held out in anticipation and hope.
I hear Hindi songs of love mingled with noise, loud voices,
car horns and boisterous traffic.
I see beautiful sunsets resting against amber skies
I feel warmth... not only from the beaming sun
but the warmth of a loving nation.
I feel one with them as this great country
wraps it's arms around me and draws me close.
I've already arrived in India before I close the lid of my case.
My dear friends,
I'm flying to India tomorrow with my husband for 2 weeks. We'll be spending the time at his home in the northern part of India with his family (which is also my family). We'll enjoy the festival of Diwali together as well as the wedding of our niece.
My heart is already there... the rest of me will arrive soon. :)
So, during these two weeks I won't be blogging but look forward to reading all your posts when I get back. Until then, take care, love Margaret :D
Welcome to your other home ....HAVE A HAPPY DIWALI WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful trip!! I'd love to see India someday. Just looking at the photo made me hungry. :)
ReplyDeleteIndia is one place I hope to visit in this life. I know you will have a fantastic time. Have fun and keep safe. Happy Diwali! xo
ReplyDeleteI HATE YOU! You're travelling where? To India.... to INDIA! And you plan to tell me that when? Oh great a day before you fly!
ReplyDeleteWhich city? Well I two weeks is far too less to just catch up to your extended family but still we could have met you know.
Call me on 9960346667 if you ever read this while your stay here will ya?
I am still mad like hell btw.
enjoy the fun with your hubby...
ReplyDeletei wish i could have time too in spending precious moments with my hubby too...
@ Kavita
ReplyDeleteThank you dear Kavita for your lovely words. You too - Happy Diwali with your family.
@ Jason
I'm sure you'll get to visit India one day too. Yeah, don't the spices make your mouth water? :P
@ K.
Happy Dewali to you too K. and thanks, I'm certain it'll be a fantastic time. Hope you make it to India one day too.
@ Aniket
You HATE me!! OH, I don't think you have it in you to hate anyone Aniket. Sorry I didn't tell you well in advance. If we had plans to visit Mumbai then I would definitely have told you and we could have met up but India is so huge that we're still thousands of miles apart. My husband's family live in Phagwara, Punjab. The nearest big city is Chandigarh - that's where the wedding's gonna be. We won't be doing any travelling around India on this trip as the time's so short but it's my dream to visit the south one day - then we'll meet (unless you make it to Munich beforehand).
This is about my 7th trip to India and won't be my last, next year my father-in-law turns 100, so that's a great reason for another trip.
I'm taking my laptop so can keep in touch but I doubt if I'll have time for blogging.
So, hope you're no longer mad with me - frowning gives you wrinkles you know! :D Take care.
@ Amity
Thank you. I will enjoy it and I wish you more time to enjoy with your hubby too. :)
Beautiful description, Margaret. I could feel your love of India and your understanding of it, too.
ReplyDeleteHave a great time at the wedding and visiting family!
Well Chandigarh is one of the most beautiful cities in India and I've been meaning to visit it for a long time now.
ReplyDeleteDo inform a bit early next time and we'll plan out something. India is huge, agreed but travelling from one part of India to another is much cheaper than other parts of the world. I'm heading home for Diwali too. And its about the same distance from where I am as is Punjab.
PS: Okay, I don't hate you... but still envy you. Oktoberfest then Diwali. Go visit States for Christmas too. You are absorbing the best of all civilizations aren't you? :P
@ I'm delighted you could feel what I felt through my lines Karen.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, I'll have a wonderful time, I know I will!
@ Aniket
Phew!! Am I glad you don't hate me!
I promise to let you know in good time the next time I visit!
Going to the States for Christmas? - nah!! Afraid not. Would have liked to go to Ireland but I didn't get holidays so it'll be spent here in Munich which is lovely too, esp. if it's snowing.
Have a great Diwali Festival and a safe journey home. :)
Oh, Margaret, have a wonderful, splendid adventure!! I, too, am so happy for you, if also slightly envious. I will make it there too, someday (if only to not piss off Aniket ;)).
ReplyDeleteYour poem is gorgeous. The bright pleasures, boisterous chaos, and darkness of India all appeal to my senses and imagination, as much as those spices.
Have a wonderful time!!
Have a wonderful trip, Margaret.
ReplyDeleteI loved your poem.
Margie:)
Happy Diwali! I'm so very envious! I was there for Diwali two years ago now, and my heart has a big hole where India belongs. Please have a wonderful wonderful wonderful delightful trip.
ReplyDeleteYour poem beautifully presents the contrast that India offers.
ReplyDelete@ Sarah, Margie, Cat, Onkar & Nishant
ReplyDeleteThank you all so much for your lovely comments. I'm back home now and can only say I love India more & more every time I go there. It's the warmth of the people that I love. They welcome you with open arms.
Hope you do make it there one day Sarah.
Cat, you know what I'm talking about!
Nishant, I agree - that's exactly what Diwali is all about!
I'll be over to all your blogs very soon - take care. :))