The snake owner and me.When Jason from The Clarity of Night published this post, I mentioned in the comment section that years ago I had the pleasure of having a snake around my neck!
After Jason asked if a photo existed I routed through my old photo albums to find these two pictures.
I was only 22 at the time. My first visit to India and so curious to try out anything new.
My in-laws were afraid of their lives to let the snake anywhere near them. But I wasn't going to let this chance past by.
Needless to say the snake was charming.
Slimy but charming! :-D

I had a job trying to keep hold of the little creature
He wouldn't stop wriggling!
An interesting experience.......
You look so very pretty.....i have never seen anyone so happy with a snake wrapped around neck....brave you ..wo....that slimy,slippery charmer.
ReplyDeleteOh, Margaret! You have more nerve than I! I freaked at a garden snake recently. I can't imagine doing that!
ReplyDeleteNice to see your picture, too. So pretty.
Margaret, I would have held the snake with you! I love these pictures of you!
ReplyDeleteHa! I love it! Thanks so much for finding the pictures!! You were very brave, indeed. :)
ReplyDelete(I'm especially impressed that you took the bestie on by yourself.)
@ Kavita
ReplyDeleteOh, I was happy! It was a wonderful experience. Snakes are a part of your country and it was one way to get even closer.
@ Karen
LOL! I bet I'd freak too if I unexpectedly came across a garden snake here!
These pics are 28 years old so I've changed a bit since - few wrinkles here and there :D
@ Cat
I don't doubt for one second that you'd have been up for it too Cat!
I see you as an adventurous person.
Glad you liked the pictures. It's hard to believe that my youngest daugther is now 22, same as me in these pics.
@ Jason
There you are Jason - that's how brave I was in those days!
Ohh - I had to have him all to myself after the first 'getting to know each other' :)
Errr... Catherine, I can say she looks real pretty without being flirtatious right?
ReplyDeleteCat keeps me on the check so that I don't cut loose. :P
But you really do. Your smile almost made me ignore the reptile. Not very friendly snakes and I. :D
One Daring female you!
Thanks a lot Aniket LOL :D
ReplyDeleteOhh I'm sure Cat won't mind you saying that. :)
Sending you a big smile :D :D
ah... so you actually held a snake when you came to the land of snake charmers... :) haha
ReplyDeleteyou look very pretty in the pic... not that you are not so now... nice pic.
Thanks Lala for the sweet compliment :)
ReplyDeleteI came into contact not only with snakes but with elephants, camals, lizards, monkeys. - Animals I wouldn't see here except in the zoo. Not to forget the mosquitoes! :) Had lots of contact with them in India too. :P
This is awesome! You WERE willing to experience new things! Thanks for sharing this. I don't know how long ago that actually was - but you really don't look any different.
ReplyDeleteK.
ReplyDeleteYes, I was really eager to experience new things. It was 28 years ago but even now I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. :)
Oh, thank you for sharing these, Margaret!! I love the slithery snake, I love the beautiful smile, and I love seeing how close my perceptions of you match the reality. YOU were the snake charmer, am I right?? :D
ReplyDeleteWell Sarah, I'm not sure who's charming who here! But I certainly found the slithery fellow charming. :D
ReplyDeleteThanks for your lovely words!
wow. margaret is very brave! :)
ReplyDeleteu sure u dont know snake charming? :)
Quite brave and bravery in these pictures does not appear to be fake.
ReplyDelete@ Leo
ReplyDeleteThanks for seeing me as a brave person! Hmmm, yeah I know a little bit about snake charming, just have to show the snake who's the boss! :))
@ Onkar
Thank you. Ohh, there's nothing fake here - all real. :D
ooooooooo...Brave you..Never saw that pic before...Good one...
ReplyDelete@ Harman
ReplyDeleteImagine, you weren't even born when those photos were taken. Did you notice your Mom in the background? She looks lovely!
u came to india and did this..and i scream and run at every paper snake..
ReplyDeletebravo !
Dear Margaret,
ReplyDeleteYou are like my mother - even she is as brave. Do your children take a leaf out of the books of your bravery?
Are you in touch with that snake? How is it doing now? Don’t tell me that it is planning to start a snake blog and make a similar post to share this photo among its circle of snakes...ha ha...
Till now, I never got a chance to hold a snake but even if I get one, I will not step forward.
I’m not a coward though – It’s not because of the fear of death that it may give a poisonous bite but the scales on a snake’s skin make it – slippery, soapy and a kind of greasy touch – which is a big turn off.
Thanks for sharing this moment of your life with all your blogger friends.
Cheers,
Charan.