Monday, 16 February 2015

Dad's 100th





Strolling through the realms of time
Reminiscing old stories, you often told              
Smiling at those loving memories
As tale upon tale of yesterdays unfold

Life goes on for those left behind
Five years elapsed, where have they gone 
Today you reach your century mark
Great honours to you, we bestow upon

Your memory lives on, deep in our hearts
You never departed at all, dear Dad
And, forever thankful to God, we are
For all the wonderful years we had

Let us now lift up our glasses in a toast
As we, your loving family, loudly proclaim
How thankful we are for the love you gave
And take your blessings as we salute your name




Happy 100th Dad!    









My dear Dad passed away five years ago at the great age of 95.  He was born on 19th February 1915. So, had he lived five more years, he would be celebrating his 100th birthday on 19th February 2015. 

He's no longer with us in person but that's no reason not to celebrate. Therefore, I'm flying to Ireland this week, to my hometown, to have a wonderful get-together with my brothers & sisters.  I'm certain himself and our dear Mom will be looking down on us from Heaven with a smile on their faces as we reminisce about the good old days.

The photo shows my parents on their wedding day in 1955.  I've included Dad's pipe in the photo as it's a precious memento of him.  When I picture him I always see him smoking his beloved pipe.








12 comments:

  1. Such a lovely poem in memory of your dad!
    Wonderful picture too!

    Have a safe and wonderful trip to Ireland, Margaret.

    (my dad would be 99 if he was alive today.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Margie. I'm sure it will be a wonderful trip.

      Delete
  2. A touching tribute from a loving daughter. Safe journey, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce, thanks for your lovely comment. I hope you & your family are all keeping well.

      Delete
  3. Hello greetings and good wishes.

    A heart touching tribute to your wonderful father. No doubt, he will be blessing you from heaven and he will be very proud of you.

    The wedding photo is very precious.

    Wish you a safe flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joseph and welcome to my blog. Thank you for leaving a comment and the good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Very beautiful poem dear Margaret. I could read it again and again. It's precious and beautifully poignant. Knowing we celebrated your Dad's 95th birthday in 2010 and reading here that it's five year already are two different feelings. 5 years sound a little too much I don't know why because I can see his picture with his pipe and the delight on his face with closed eyes and it shall always remain the same, no matter how many more years pass by. He's timeless. <3 Mr. Mick. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nishant for your lovely comment. Really sorry for taking so long to reply. Your words are much appreciated - thank you!

      Delete